Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Frozen

       I can't believe how long it has been since I have posted. My apologies to the hundreds of faithful followers of this blog. Alright, lets be serious. I know there are only a handful of you out there that visit from time to time, and I really do appreciate the time you take to visit and comment. Hopefully I won't let as much time pass between posts in the future.
      Over this past winter and spring, I haven't been out photographing as much as I would like. But I did manage to take the camera out a few times and over the next few posts, I will try to share with you some of the images I came up with.
      Over the last few winters, I have been wanting to shoot at Abraham Lake near Nordegg, Alberta. It is famous for its ice bubbles that form when methane gas from decaying matter becomes trapped in the ice. It is about a 2-1/2 hour drive for me to get there, and after getting skunked the previous winter, I had to try again.
     As usual, I was hoping for a great sunset to add drama to the scene but unfortunately, shortly after I arrived, the weather started to roll in. It may have stolen the light but the clouds did add to the moody atmosphere. The wind was impressive. I had crampons on my boots which is definitely a must. Without these it would have been impossible to set up to take pictures. The wind would literally blow you across the ice if you didn't have these sharp cleats digging into the frozen water.
     What made this outing even more special was bumping into a couple of other photographers who had come all the way from Texas to shoot, not only this frozen lake, but many other amazing sights in the Alberta Rockies. It reminded me how fortunate I am to live so close to tremendous scenery. Hope you enjoy a few of the scenes I managed to capture and, as always, thanks for looking!







No comments:

Post a Comment